- How to import files from disk, iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box etc?
- How to change the language of the text?
- How to listen to the headlines from web sites and add articles from them?
- How to listen to the selected text in other apps?
- How to add voices?
- How to sync data among iPhone, iPad and Mac?
- Can I use Siri voices?
- What to do if the app is not working?
How to listen to the headlines from web sites and add articles from them?
1. In the Headlines tab of the app add a home page or some other site section that contains headlines or site’s RSS feed using the ‘+’ button. You will see three options:
- Popular Sites – first pick the category of the site (e.g. Sports, News) and then check all the sites that you want to follow from that category.
- Web Site – find the site using Google, navigate to its home page and tap ‘Add’.
- Type Address – type in the address of the feed or web site to add it
2. Tap on the item and the app will start to read the headlines from the page
3. To add linked articles you can right click to activate the context menu and choose “Add to Articles & Books”.
How to import files from disk, iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box etc?
1. When file is stored on the storage other than iCloud ensure that you have installed the required storage app from the App Store (e.g. Dropbox app) and after that log in to that app.
2. In the Articles & Books page press the ‘+’ button and then ‘Import File’.
How to listen to the selected text in other apps?
Using macOS services you can listen to selected text by activating the keyboard shortcut in every app that supports services. More details on how to set them up and use them are available in Apple’s official documentation for services.
How to change the language of the item?
The language of the item is automatically detected based on its text. If the language is not properly detected it may be changed from its context menu, under the submenu ‘More’ there is the item ‘Language’ where you can assign any of available languages to the item.
How to add voices?
1. Open the macOS Preferences (it can be opened from the Launcher or from the Apple menu).
2. Go to Accessibility > Spoken Content on macOS Monterey. On older versions open Accessibility > VoiceOver and then click on ‘Open VoiceOver Utility’ and then on Speech.
3. Under the ‘System Voice’ (or just voice if you use VoiceOver dialog) there is a popup button to pick the voice. After you click and open it you will see that on the bottom it contains option ‘Customise…’. That option will open a new window where you can install new voices (ensure also to check the option ‘Upgrade to enhanced quality’ if it is available for that voice to install higher quality voices).
How to sync data among iPhone, iPad and Mac?
To sync data across devices ensure that:
- You are logged in to those devices with the same Apple account.
- That the option ‘Sync across Apple devices’ is enabled on each device. There are two settings to enable syncing of Headlines and syncing of Books & Articles. On the iOS devices it is toggled by going to the Extras tab, then Settings. On the Mac it is available from the main menu on the top by going to Speech Central > Preferences
Please note that the sync is optimized for the energy consumption and real-life use cases. The item may not appear immediately on another device and if you keep both apps open you may need to perform the manual refresh (pull than on the iOS and use the menu File > Sync on the Mac).
Can I use Siri voices?
Apple restricts Siri voices only to the operating system functions. This is done to protect the user privacy as the user might be sharing his private data with Siri. While this sounds reasonable Apple has already proved that such risks can be managed by implementing the mechanism in which an app asks the user for the permission to use a potentially risky resource. Please encourage Apple to implement such mechanism by sharing your feedback using the Apple’s feedback assistant. In the header press the icon to start the new feedback, then pick ‘macOS’, and then mention that you would like Apple to implement the mechanism that would allow you to give apps permission to use Siri voices.
Also you may want to sign the petition that asks Apple to improve on this.
What to do if the app is not working?
If you find some specific bug use the support contact to report it.
If the app is not working at all or some major function is not working in most cases there is the problem on your device. The app is tested by Labsii and Apple (or Setapp) before each release and it is highly unlikely that such problem may occur.
In most of such cases it is enough to just restart the device to restore the functionality. If it doesn’t help you may try to reinstalling of the app. If this still doesn’t resolve your problem it is very likely that your problem is caused by specific data. In such case deleting your data will help. You can do that by following these steps:
- Open the Finder app
- From the ‘Go’ menu pick ‘Library’
- Open the folder ‘Containers’. There you should find the folder ‘Speech Central’. Delete this folder. If the app works after that you may restore it from the Bin, compress it and send the zip file to support so that the bug may be fixed.
Please ensure that you have tried the options mentioned above. If you still find problems please report the problem to the support.